The global meetings industry is being urged to join together in an historic pledge to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050. JMIC (the Joint Meetings Industry Council), which presents The Iceberg, has launched an initiative called Net Zero Carbon Events to connect the sector with the growing movement to radically reduce emissions. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is supporting the initiative.
The Net Zero Carbon Events initiative aims to:
- Jointly communicate the industry’s commitment to tackling climate change and driving towards net zero by 2050.
- Develop common methodologies for measuring the industry’s direct, indirect and supply chain greenhouse gas emissions.
- Construct an industry-wide roadmap towards net zero by 2050, and emissions reductions by 2030 in line with the Paris Agreement, with support and guidance on key issues.
- Foster collaboration with suppliers and customers to ensure alignment and common approaches.
- Establish common mechanisms for reporting progress and sharing best practice.
Find out about and register participation for Net Carbon Zero Events here (click image to launch).
Further content about Net Zero Carbon Events:
Mission Impossible? Assessing the Meetings Industry’s Pledge to Reach Net Zero (Association Meetings International article)
Global Meetings Industry Aims for “Net Zero” Pledge Before COP26 (Association Meetings International article)
Focusing on Zero (Exhibition World article)
The Events Industry Kicks Off Towards Net Zero (Exhibition World article)